The mission of the Johnson County Christmas Bureau (JCCB) is to:
- Provide warmth and support, during the winter holiday season, to low-income Johnson County, Kansas families;
- Increase awareness and understanding of poverty in Johnson County, Kansas; and
- Give neighbors an outlet to help neighbors.
We serve between 10,000 and 12,000 low-income neighbors each year. We meet our mission by running two programs and utilizing volunteers for almost all functions. For information concerning volunteers please go to the volunteer page.
We run a Holiday Shop during the month of December. At the Holiday Shop pre-qualified clients shop by appointment. All clients are below 150% of the poverty level and reside in Johnson County, Kansas. The Holiday Shop is similar to a much smaller version of a department store. Our Holiday Shop is the original pop-up. Each client is assisted by a volunteer.
Each client can pick out:
- personal care items (items such as soap, shampoo, diapers, toilet paper, hygiene products, toothbrushes and much more)
- holiday gifts (often it is the only holiday gift a child receives)
- children’s clothing
- hats, gloves and scarves
- a gift for themselves
- winter coats (for many children it will be their only winter coat).
2017 Holiday Shop – December 1-9, 2017. Location TBA
Client Services and Volunteer sign-up opens October 1, 2017
Nursing homes can pick up packages at the beginning of the Holiday Shop to distribute to their residents. Packages can include various different items such as pajamas, slipper socks, twin bedding, lap quilts, tool belts and walker bags. The nursing homes then distribute the packages to their residents.